Status update - National Viral Hepatitis Control Programme (NVHCP) Uttarakhand
The National Viral Hepatitis Control Program has been launched by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India on the occasion of the World Hepatitis Day, 28th July 2018. It is an integrated initiative for the prevention and control of viral hepatitis in India to achieve Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3.3 which aims to ending viral hepatitis by 2030. This is a comprehensive plan covering the entire gamut from Hepatitis A, B, C, D & E, and the whole range from prevention, detection and treatment to mapping treatment outcomes. Operational Guidelines for National Viral Hepatitis Control Program, National Laboratory Guidelines for Viral Hepatitis Testing and National Guidelines for Diagnosis and Management of Viral Hepatitis were also released.
- Combat hepatitis and achieve country wide elimination of hepatitis C by 2030.
- Achieve significant reduction in the infected population, morbidity and mortality associated with Hepatitis B and c viz. cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer).
- Reduce the risk, morbidity and mortality due to Hepatitis A and E.
- Enhance community awareness on hepatitis and lay stress on preventive measures among general population especially high-risk groups and in hotspots.
- Provide early diagnosis and management of viral hepatitis at all levels of healthcare.
- Develop standard diagnostic and treatment protocols for management of viral hepatitis and its complications.
- Strengthen the existing infrastructure facilities, build capacities of existing human resource and raise additional human resources, where required, for providing comprehensive services for management of viral hepatitis.
Under the National Viral Hepatitis Control Programme (NVHCP), three Model Treatment Centres (MTCs) are made functional in the state for treatment of all complicated and uncomplicated Hepatitis C & B patients. The three MTCs are:
- Govt. Medical College, Dehradun,
- Govt. Medical College Haldwani, Nainital,
- AIIMS Rishikesh, Dehradun,
Under the three MTCs, state has made functional 13 District treatment centres (TCs), one in each district.